Thursday, December 16, 2010

I'm Making a List, I'm Checking It Twice

Christmas is a little over a week away, and I’m suddenly realizing all the things I need to get done between now and then. So, as I often do in this kind of situation, I’ve made a list. Actually, I’ve made a whole bunch of lists.

The first list is a list of everything that’s on my calendar for the next few weeks. Saturday Herb’s daughter flies in, Sunday we’re reading in church and then hosting the family Christmas party, Tuesday we’re having dinner with friends, Thursday we’re going to New York, Friday we’re coming home and then going to the Christmas Eve service at church, Saturday we’re having Christmas morning at home then heading to my grandmother’s for the afternoon, and Sunday we’re celebrating Herb’s birthday. So just having all that in writing is helpful.

Next, I have a list of all the different tasks I need to work into the schedule on the first list. I’m baking cupcakes, making Christmas cookies, shopping for last-minute Christmas presents, and wrapping presents, so I’ve scheduled all those chores in between the things that are already on the calendar.

Third, I have my shopping lists. One for groceries that I need to pick up before Sunday’s party. One for ingredients for my cupcakes and cookies. One for gifts I can’t get until shortly before Christmas. And one for the gifts I can get as soon as I can find them, if only I could find them.

Lastly, I have my prep lists. I have a list of everything I need to be sure gets done before the party on Sunday: cutting up garnishes, preparing appetizer trays, chilling soda in the cooler, clearing Ryan’s toys out of every nook and cranny in the house. I have a list of the things I need to bring to my grandmother’s on Christmas Day. I have a list of things I need to have ready for Herb’s party the day after Christmas.

Now, if only I could remember where I put all those lists…

Bookmark and Share  

No comments:

Post a Comment