Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: The Year That Was

As we close in on the final hours left in the year 2011, I can’t help but look back on everything that’s happened this year. Most notably, my mom passed away and my daughter was born. But so many other wonderful (and also sad) things happened, too. Some of them I can’t help remembering, and some of them I’d already forgotten. But looking back over my blogs, my Facebook postings, and my photographs, as well as simply racking my brains, calls back memories of the events of 2011.

I spent most of January throwing up, so we’ll skip right over that. Fortunately, by the end of the month I had discovered Zofran.

In February, we got our first peek at Katie, then dubbed Rutabaga.


In March, I felt Katie move for the first time. We reorganized our basement. And Ryan went to daycare for the first time, an event that was much more traumatic for me than it was for him. I was both relieved and disappointed that he looked up and said, “Hi, Mama,” without a break in his playing when I came to pick him up.

In April, we lost my mom.

But Herb and I also spent a wonderful, relaxing anniversary in Newport, which was the perfect escape from the stress of my mom’s last months, and which was a wonderful reaffirmation of our love and support for each other.

In May, we both got new cars in anticipation of our growing family. I also sang at the Shalin Liu Center in Rockport as part of Voices of Hope.

In June, I sang with Voices of Hope at a celebration for the MGH 100. I hope I never see myself on a Jumbotron again. I hope that Matt Damon never sees me on a Jumbotron again, either.

In July, Ryan moved from his crib into a big boy bed. And Herb and I and our friend Bob had the wonderful opportunity to see the talented John O’Creagh performing in the national tour of West Side Story.

In August, our beautiful Katie was born. On the very same day, Rosemary moved back home for the year.

In September, we went to the Big E and the Cape house, Ryan started taking gymnastics classes, and Herb and I had our first official post-baby date night.

In October, Ryan went to his first birthday party, for his friend Will’s 5th birthday. And he and Katie dressed up as a cowboy and a cow for Halloween.

In November, we celebrated Ryan’s 2nd birthday! (And my 43rd, but that was much less exciting and did not involve a truck cake.)

In December, Herb and I performed in the Reagle Christmas show, we took the kids to the South Station train display, the Enchanted Village, and the Waltham Treelighting ceremony. Ryan enjoyed the “Christmas of the Truck”. And we had a great get-together with a group of my friends from high school.

And we’re wrapping up the year by hosting a New Year’s Eve party with a small group of friends. Because how else should you end the year than with food, friends, and song?

Happy New Year to all of you, and may 2012 bring peace and joy to all of us!



Bookmark and Share

1 comment: