Sunday, May 12, 2013

Words Aren't Enough


English is an amazingly expressive language. But sometimes words simply cannot adequately express the emotions of the human heart. This weekend I have learned the inadequacy of both the word “horrifying” and the word “grateful.”

On Friday night, I lived every mother’s nightmare of seeing my child floating limply face down in a pool. “Horrifying” is not enough.

I performed CPR on my own baby. “Horrifying” is not enough.

I watched helplessly as medical teams put tubes into her lungs and stomach, seemingly endlessly poked her with needles and IV lines, strapped her into a nightmarish neck immobilizer, and put restraints on her wrists. “Horrifying” is not enough.

But thanks to the instant and universal connection of e-mail, text messaging, cell phones, and Facebook, my child and my family were lifted up in prayer by family, friends, friends of friends, and strangers all over the world. “Grateful” is not enough.

My sister- and brother-in-law and their family took in my son without hesitation or question and offered to keep him as long as needed. “Grateful” is not enough.

Innumerable friends and family offered to babysit my son at any time. “Grateful” is not enough.

I woke this morning to literally hundreds of well wishes from friends and strangers alike, sending messages of reassurance and hope. “Grateful” is not enough.

I woke this morning to find that the EEG leads had been removed and a compassionate nurse had carefully washed my daughter’s hair and put it into pigtails so she looked more like my little peanut and less like the work of a mad scientist. “Grateful” is not enough.

A compassionate doctor took the time to explain the various procedures that my daughter would be undergoing, gave us a realistic picture of the possible outcomes, and answered all our questions. “Grateful” is not enough.

So to all those from Djibouti to Serbia, from Tennessee to Pennsylvania, from Haverhill to Belmont, from the Waltham EMTs to the medical staff at Boston Children’s Hospital, from the churches and synagogues who are lifting us up in your prayers at this very moment, all you who have loved and prayed for and supported us over the past few days, I say from my heart, “Thank you and God bless you all.” Even though those words are not enough.


Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

  1. Sandy, we are thinking of you today and every day while you all go through this. Words aren't enough to say how hard we are praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said.

    Kimmah in TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear. I'm sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your family's way and a bunch of spoons (The Spoon Theory) to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family. Here to help if you need me. Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family. Please let me know if I can help. Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, keeping your little princess in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, we went to gordon college together but i honestly cannot remember you. i have followed your story through other mutual friends who have posted, and have prayed for you and your family, prayers of thanks and praise are slipping in now as you reveal more about how she's doing.

    please contact me. i work in newton at a cooking school, and once your family is back on its feet, i would love to offer you a free class for you and your daughter or you and your son to come in together and take an adult and child workshop, on me. christinegeiger@gmail.com (christine fogarty is the maiden name. graduated in 90).

    following quietly and closely to your story... keep us updated and i do hope in the end everything will be right as rain. happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy.. and Herb.. I cant express what we feel here...you are always with those sweet babies of yours ..never are they far from you...whenever I see you. you are playing in the sandbox or coloring your driveway along with Ryan and Katie.. always there. When I ever heard the sirens.I was at the other side of the house and sirens in our neighborhood are just something you get used to... so when I went into the kitchen and saw the fire engine so close by..I was mystified to what was going on. I looked to see Herb standing by the pool... I thought it may be a gas leak or something. I called Herb and then Herb told me what happened. I was so shocked and overwhelmed with such grief.. but I felt the need to go pray right away. I just felt your mom and felt angels protective arms around Katie. I knew God was around her..and your family. God bless you all.. I am still in prayer for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continue to trust Him when dark doubts assail thee. Trust Him when thy strength is small. Trust Him when to simply trust Him, seems the hardest thing of all....Hands up to the Lord in prayer for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

  11. Hi Sandy,
    I am a cousin of Scott Fulton & good friends with Roberta. The following was sent out to my prayer chain through the Methodist Chuch in Plymouth. The beautiful blog you wrte was also attached! There are thousands upon thousands praying for Katie and your family. I have a little one named Katie (15). So full of pep and life! Praying hard!!!

    Hi Friends,

    Jiimmy Cappellucci sent this request to me this afternoon. I have also included a blog that Katie's Mom, Sandy wrote...prayers for all the family and medical folks who are taking care of Katie.

    Can we get a prayer out ASAP? A young 21 month girl, Katie P. fell into her family pool and is now fighting for her life. They live next to my cousins, Scott & Roberta.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keeping you and Katie in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my prayers are with you and your family at this time!!!!!!
    I do not know you personally, I feel I know you!!!! thinking of you all

    ReplyDelete