Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas Debriefing

I am writing this at around 8pm on Christmas night. Our plans to drive to visit family in the afternoon were postponed by icy snow and dicey road conditions, so this is pretty much how our day went:

At 6:30am, I awoke to the sound of little voices obediently chattering to themselves in their bedrooms, along with the sound of my husband snoring gently beside me. At about 6:48am, they couldn't stand it any longer and there was a knock at the door, which roused us both (although I insisted they wait until the grandfather clock actually chimed 7:00). This was the scene that greeted us when we opened the bedroom door (the note reads in part, "Remember: Don't go downstairs until we go with you. Stay in your room until 7:00am.").

The stockings were too heavy to still be hanging from the mantel, but instead had been moved to the couch and the armchair, full to bursting with candy, toys, toothbrushes, underwear, and all kinds of random fun things. Santa had also left some gifts by the fire, including SWORDS!!! (My son's response whenever I - or Santa - had asked what he most wanted for Christmas was "weapons," so needless to say he was delighted.)


My kids' older sister had also sent them a fabulous stuffed shark and giant Shopkin, respecitvely. Happy kiddos!

There were even more gifts under the tree, not only from Mom & Dad, but from uncles and aunts all over the world.
 

Very generous uncles and aunts.


Santa was wise enough to provide both children with swords. Because one-sided swordplay just isn't fair. 


My daughter had spent the past two weeks talking about the Minnie Mouse phone with the dial and the cord (so retro! Ouch!) that she was hoping Santa would bring her, so she was thrilled to death when it appeared under the tree. 

And my son was thrilled - surprise of surprises - to receive a kids' cookbook. I fully intend on getting him to test it out numerous times while he's on break from school.

My husband was just as thrilled and excited as the kids to receive a fabulous coloring-changing LED bulb that he could control from his phone. Techno-gadgets are always a hit in this house, no matter who the recipient is.
 

Christmas isn't Christmas without Legos: A Snow White set for my daughter, and a bunch of sports cars - including a Bugatti - for my son. And did I mention there was a Nerf gun with a target? Yeah.

As for me, I was beyond thrilled with my Harry Potter Marauder's Map travel mug. Two of my favorite things just happen to be coffee and Harry Potter.

Both kids have taken up chess lately, so the gorgeous magnetic chess set promises quiet in the back seat of the car on our next long trip. (Hey, a girl can hope, right?!??)
 
My daughter was exceptionally proud of the gifts she had purchased for us at the school store, as well as the special picture frame she had decorated herself at school for us.


 After all the gifts were opened, everyone abandoned their loot in favor of breakfast.

But as the morning wore on, the snow got heavier and icier, so we made the call to postpone driving to visit family until next weekend.

So instead, Dad spent the late morning setting up the kids' new computer table (and old computer) in the playroom.
He also found some time to prepare the Monopoly game that Santa brought for the whole family (I suspect he's going to go Full Tycoon on us).

He  did also find time to go outside and play in the snow with the kids. It wasn't great snowman or snowball snow, but it was just perfect for making snow angels!!

More importantly, he found time for a late afternoon nap while the kids played with their toys and I watched cheesy Christmas TV. We ended the day with a round of Clue (the girls won, yay! But just by a hair) and then a phone call to far away family.

I'd call it a successful Christmas. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. And God bless us, every one!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment