Thursday, March 8, 2018

2018 Oscar After-Parties: Fashion Review

It amazes me to realize how many different gowns celebrities need to come up with every season for the various awards shows (check out my blog from 2013 listing all the various ceremonies a celebrity might attend in a given season). But on top of that, apparently they change into a different look for the after-party. Now, you might think, "Great, they can change into something more comfortable!" But that's often not the case - they simply change into another eye-catching coutre dress with just as much padding, boning, and double-sided tape as the one they wore for the actual ceremony. Let's take a look at what some of the stars wore to the after-parties, and compare it to their red carpet looks. Would YOU have changed??

 
Gal Godot's silver Oscar dress was a knockout, and it looked much more comfortable than many other looks of the evening - not too structured or bulky. But her softly draped red gown with plunging neckline and thigh-high slit looked equally comfortable, although perhaps a little more in danger of a wardrobe malfunction. But the waistline is perhaps a bit more forgiving for all the delicious nibbles that I'm sure were to be had at the Vanity Fair party. 

 
I can't imagine trying to eat anything while wearing Zendaya's one-giant-sleeved Oscar gown (assuming she's right-handed, anyway). But despite being more fitted, her silvery-white after-party gown looked much more comfortable for partying. The angled tulle ruffle that created a mermaid look started high enough that movement didn't look to be an issue, so no doubt she was able to mix and mingle in high style.

 
Margot Robbie's white Oscars gown was quite structured in the bodice, which I suspect would not be comfortable in the long run. In addition, maneuvering around a party with a train is always a problem. But Robbie combined comfort and practicality with fashion in her silver after-party dress of a short spaghetti strap underdress topped with a sheer floor-length skirt. I'd gladly attend a party in this pretty look!

 
I didn't love Lupita Nyong'o's gold Oscar gown, mainly because of the weird sash, giant shoulder pad, and oddly-structured bodice. But she hit it out of the park with her plunging-to-the-waist, open-sided black column at the after-party. She has such perfect posture (and a small enough chest) that she can wear a low-cut gown without looking like she's in danger of falling out of it. I wish she'd worn this one on the red carpet!

I'm not sure if Zoe Saldana attended the actual Oscar ceremony this year - I certainly wasn't able to find a red carpet photo. But I had to include her here because of the crazy getup she wore to the after-party. The sheer black yoke part is fine, but the dress starts to go downhill at the over-sized black marabou ruffle across the bust and then completely loses it when it becomes a giant poof as the body of the dress, then seals its own fate by gathering into another giant marabou layer right at the crotch. I guess this falls under the heading, "Even bad publicity is good publicity"?

 
Emma Stone's Oscar look wasn't terrible (although I hated the clashing hot pink sash), it just didn't feel Oscar-appropriate to me. It would have worked well as an after-party look, but her cute lime green satin cocktail dress worked even better. Cute, cool, and comfortable, this is another look I'd gladly wear myself (especially if I looked like Emma Stone).

 
I was not a fan of Emily Blunt's Oscar gown, although getting rid of the oversized shoulder pads and unnecessary sleeves and deepening the color a few shades would have made a world of difference. But her sleek black-and-gold column for the after-party was a real winner, skimming her figure perfectly and keeping enough visual interest in the beautiful fabric to balance the simple cut. Another after-party look that would have done well on the red carpet.

Elizabeth Banks is another celebrity who may or may not have attended the ceremony, as there does not seem to be any photos of her on the red carpet. But I loved her after-party dress enough to want to include her. Similar to Gal Godot's red carpet look, Banks' tea-length silver fringed halter dress looked gorgeous in still photos but looked even better as it caught the light and came to life as she moved.
 
 
I was not a fan of Salma Hayek's frilly lavender Oscar gown with its heavy, badly-placed diamond strands. I didn't love her quilted-looking two-piece post-Oscar dress, with its bolero-style jacket with almost-elbow-length sleeves and stiff skirt, but it was still an improvement. And I was glad to see that she literally let her hair down for the post-party!

Ellen Pompeo didn't hit the red carpet but she did hit the after-party in a metallic black and gold print romper with a black satin sash and drape. I didn't love it at first, but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. It's kind of fun and I do love the fabric, but the sash isn't quite right. Maybe if it were placed just a bit higher on her waist and the drape was a little smaller, I'd like it better. But as haute couture, it's not bad.

 
I wish Allison Williams could have combined her red carpet dress with her after-party dress. I loved the silhouette of her Oscar dress, but the color was too washed-out, and I loved the color of her after-dress, but the stiff bodice and feathery skirt didn't work. But remake her red carpet gown in the gorgeous red of the second dress? Perfection.

 
Eiza Gonzales made this simple, form-fitting lemon-yellow gown work in a way that not many could. But it was still a bit bland. Her after-party dress, however, had some great details, including long narrow red panels at the front of the wrap, a few diagonally striped square panels, and some black embroidery in the middle of the bodice that seemed to be either a butterfly or Cthulu. Either way, it had personality, and I loved it.

 
Mary J. Blige could easily have swapped her red carpet and after-party dresses. As much as I loved her asymmetrical white Oscar gown, I adored her gold sequined column covered by a sheer white overdress with a single band of black and silver at the knee. She was a total knockout in both.

 
Tiffany Hadish's white-and-gold Eritrean princess dress was stunning on the red carpet, but I was glad that she went a bit less regal in this lovely green one-shouldered column with high slit and long scarf trailing from the shoulder. It looked comfortable and stylish and still elegant. (But I'd have kept on the crown, if I were her.)

Janelle Monae doesn't need a red carpet to show off her cutting-edge fashion. Her looks are sometimes over the top for me, but this striking take on a riding habit totally works for me. The tailoring is impeccable: structured without being stiff, draping beautifully, and fitting her like a glove. Love it.

Despite the unfortunate bangs, Emma Watson looks like Egyptian royalty in a simple sleeveless black velvet column topped with dozens of diamond strands forming a collar. I only wish she'd added an updo and a tiara, a la Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.

 
I liked the way Mira Sorvino tied her two gowns together by having them the same pretty shade of mauve. The fabric and cut of her red carpet gown were lovely and flattering, but a bit too pale for her. I didn't love the silhouette of her post-party dress quite as well, but the beading at the top darkened the dress around her face and improved the way the color worked on her. I did love everything about her stain cape, though.

Gabrielle Union was downright demure at this year's after-party, compared to what she wore to the same party last year:
It was basically a bikini on the left and a gown on the right, and although it certainly showed off her body to its best advantage, it was just ugly. But this year's simple peach column with silver sequin bandeau bodice was a vast improvement.

 
If I had Allison Janney's gorgeous red carpet gown, I would never want to change out of it. But Janney made an excellent choice in swapping over to a flared floor-length skirt in the same hue paired with an open-front white cotton blouse, keeping her diamond choker and red clutch as accessories. Comfortable, glamorous, and coordinated with her memorable red carpet gown. Well-played!

 
I loved both of Kelly Marie Tran's dresses, although I think I'd want to wear something a bit less precarious for the after-party. Her full, ice-blue red carpet gown with plunging neckline was glamorous, but her silver-studded sleeveless black column with keyhole cutout was sleek and chic. I do prefer her hair down - although I'm sure those lovely waves are thanks to spending hours in the pinned-up braids.

Oh, Judith Light. You know I love you but even when you don't have a red carpet you manage to end up on my "worst on the red carpet" list. What's up with those humongous ruffled sleeves? Who wears sleeves like that to a party? You're totally going to drag them through the organic hummus.

 
The one feature of Betty Gabriel's dress that I hated on the red carpet is the same feature that I hate in her after-party dress: too much exposed chest being squished flat by a sheer modesty panel. The rest of both dresses are great, but the wide-open v's make both bodices look droopy and ruin the lines of the gowns.

Kerry Washington looked absolutely fierce in this black leather ensemble. This is certainly NOT a red carpet look (well, maybe at the AMAs). Her wrapped one-shouldered black leather minidress featured a red metallic ruffle from the shoulder and was paired with thigh-high stiletto boots. Fierce!

 
Greta Gerwig's yellow dress was simple and pretty, but it felt a bit too frothy to suit her personality. I much preferred her stark strapless black and white post-party dress, with its curved lines and just a hint of ruffle at the top. Even the diamond choker worked better with that dress than the red carpet one.

 
Andra Day set the bar low with her bulky, bunchy red carpet gown, so she could hardly help but improve for the after party. She chose a shiny pink high-low dress with long sleeves and a long keyhole front, topped with a matching scarf at the neck. I wouldn't normally have loved it, but it was such an improvement over her first dress that I can't help but approve.

 
Much like Allison Janney, Laura Dern opted to wear a casual but coordinated version of her red carpet look to the after party. She swapped out her white column for wide-legged white pants and a white corset, with a white tux jacket over her shoulders. Bonus points for the great splash of color in her red satin clutch!

 
Moving from one hot mess to another, St. Vincent (who? I have no idea, but she has terrible taste in fashion) swapped out an ugly black romper for an ugly print romper. Her after-party look was a satin romper in a chartreuse and aqua print, with a plunging neckline edged with jacket lapels and a wide belt paired with thigh-high shaggy black fur boots that could be part of a gorilla costume. Seriously?

Even the gorilla wouldn't wear those boots with that outfit. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment