Saturday, December 2, 2023

The Best New Christmas Songs, 2023

I've been putting together a playlist of my favorite Christmas songs, and I realized I don't have any music that's been released in the past few years. So I did a little research on new Christmas songs that were just released this year, and I have a few recommendations for songs you might want to add to your playlist. Here are 10 of the best of the 2023 Christmas releases!

Please, Santa, Please - Pentatonix

Although it's not a cappella, this song has the usual jazzy, rhythmic, harmony-rich sound you expect from Pentatonix. The lyrics are nothing special; it's the oft-used request for a sweetheart to appear underneath the tree (sample lyrics: "'Cause there's only one wish on my list: it's a kiss underneath the mistletoe"), but it's fun and upbeat. And how can you ever go wrong with Pentatonix?

Night Before Christmas - Sam Smith

Smith's slightly husky voice and simple plucked guitar accompaniment are evocative of James Taylor. This poignant story is the flip side of Please, Santa, Please: the sweetheart in this case IS under the tree, and that makes everything better. Sample lyric: "Baby, this time of year can make you feel old, but when I am with you I don't feel the cold." This sweet ballad is just right for sitting in front of the fire with a mug of hot cocoa, hopefully with your own sweetheart. . 

We Wish You the Merriest - Seth MacFarlane & Liz Gillies

MacFarlane's and Gillies' voices both have the rich sound that evokes crooners from the '50s, like Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney or Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme. This new rendition of an old classic has the best of new and old. 

Sleigh Ride - Seth MacFarlane & Liz Gillies

Two-fer for these two! As a life-long Boston area resident, I am always a fan of Sleigh Ride. This version is just a little jazzy without straying too far from the original, the two throw in just a touch of harmony in a few spots, and MacFarlane's deep final note is a delightful button. Definitely a new favorite version of a favorite song for me. 

Ring Them Bells - Ben Fuller & Jonathan Traylor

A new song interspersed with the traditional Carol of the Bells, the lyrics go on to explain that the bells are proclaiming the birth of the Messiah. Sample lyrics: "Glory, glory in the highest! Make way for the Messiah, the King has arrived." The genre is definitely contemporary Christian pop/praise music, but if you enjoy that style, this one is for you. 

Christmas Hits Different - Toby Mac & Tasha Layton

This song is directed at those who are struggling during the holiday season, with a supportive message that it's okay to not put on a happy face. Sample lyrics: "This one goes out to the broken souls: I just want you to know, if Christmas hits different this year, you don't have to smile, I know how you feel...I'll be right here."

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Norah Jones & Laufey

Jones' plinky piano with accompanying plunky string bass, combined with Jones' and Laufey's rich, jazzy voices, creates a deliciously simple and old-fashioned rendition of this Christmas classic. Another one to enjoy snuggled in a cozy blanket by the fireplace with a mug of something warm. 

Christmas Kisses -Adam Blackstone & Keke Palmer

A cross between the Jackson 5 and Wilson Phillips, with a spoken-word interlude, this motown-inspired song with get you up and dancing. Need a little inspiration to get those presents wrapped? Put this peppy number on and you'll be done before you know it. The lyrics are a combination of Santa, Baby and All I Want for Christmas is You. Sample lyrics: "Santa baby baby baby, please grant my wishes. Got plenty on my list, but only one thing I'm missin'. Now you know, you know, I like diamonds and gold, but I hope you're listenin'. Don't forget about my kisses on this Christmas.")

Because of Bethlehem - Matthew West

A soothing, gentle anthem, this song puts the birth of Christ in context with His adult life. Sample lyrics: "Love is born, hope is here. Heaven's light has made the darkness disappear. Peace on earth, goodwill to men, God with us, all because of Bethlehem." I like the way it starts simply, builds to a crescendo with added voices, then drops back to a single voice for a moment, builds once again, and ends with a single voice singing the final line. 

I Pray on Christmas - Mac Powell

This New Orleans jazzy gospel number begins with honky tonk piano then adds in an organ, a full swing orchestra, and a gospel choir singing backup. You'll find yourself clapping along and dancing during the musical break. Sample lyrics: "I pray on Christmas that the Lord will see me through. I pray on Christmas He'll show me what to do. I pray on Christmas He'll help me understand. And I pray on Christmas He'll take me by the hand." You'll want to stand up and testify by the end!


Hopefully one of these ten songs will become a new Christmas favorite for you! Happy listening! 


Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment