Tuesday, January 16, 2024

I'm Fat: Week 1 Check-In


Guess what? 


I'm still fat. 


Yeah, the hardest part of trying to lose weight is that it takes time. I'm hoping the old adage that it takes twice as long to lose it as it did to gain it isn't true. I've gained 25 pounds over the past 5 years, and I'm really hoping that it won't take 10 years to take it off again. Fortunately, I've also read that losing a pound or even 2 every week is a reasonable goal for most people, so that's my aim. The difficult part of that goal for me is that my body weight fluctuates several pounds on a regular basis, so it's really hard to tell if I've actually lost weight or if it's just my natural fluctuations. 

I have been using an app on my phone for a while and it's really helped to make me aware of my weight creep. 

This chart shows my weight over the past 90 days. You can see that the numbers have been edging up very gradually over the whole time I've been charting. 

Looking at the past 30 days, it's going a little better, with a general creep down instead of up. So, yay? But I know I could be doing better. 

As I've been tracking my habits, I've been struggling with improving some of them. For example, drinking water. It's a lot harder than I expected to drink as much water as I'd hoped, mainly on days when I'm running around doing errands or spending the day at work rather than at home. So my plan is to keep a large water bottle in my car and in my work bag so I always have water with me. I do notice a difference in my appetite when I've drunk a lot of water before meals, so I think getting better about this will be a big help in shrinking down my portion sizes without being hungry (or hangry!).

I have done pretty well with reducing my alcohol intake. Cutting my cocktails with seltzer has been surprisingly effective, especially when I emphasize the flavors with bitters. My latest creation was a splash of whipped cream vodka, a splash of creme de cacao, cocoa bitters, a bit of cherry juice, and black cherry seltzer. Delicious and refreshing! I feel like over the course of time I can transition into less (or even no!) vodka to lower the calorie count even further. 

As I look back over my eating log for the week, I'm reasonably happy with how I did. I did notice that I sneak a cookie as a snack more often than I realized (I need to get rid of my leftover Christmas cookies - and not by eating them!), but having to write everything down did help me to decide against random mid-afternoon snacks quite often. And when I did decide to snack, it was usually a small handful of cashews or some apple slices. 

So what I am doing differently this week? One thing I plan to do is add a place in my daily log for the treats that I resisted. There were definitely times when I thought about eating something and I chose against it, or I could have chosen a higher-calorie meal and didn't. I feel like it will be a good encouragement for me to see the times that I made a healthy choice when I really wanted something else. For example, I was out shopping with my husband the other day and we stopped at Burger King for lunch, and even though I really wanted a burger and fries, I got a couple of small chicken wraps and I stole exactly 3 fries from my husband. Yay for me! And the more I resist, the easier it gets to resist. Plus, I'm learning what lower-calorie meals and snacks I find satisfying, such as an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter instead of a peanut butter sandwich, or salmon and fresh vegetables instead of steak and mashed potatoes. Carbs - particularly bread and potatoes - are still a big part of my diet, so I'm also hoping to work more fruits and vegetables in with my proteins instead of all starches. 

What's the bottom line on my first week? It's a slow and gradual start, but it's a start. Onward and downward!

Quote for the week: Today is another chance to get it right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment