Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mama! Mama! Mama!



I used to think that this video clip was hilarious. And then my son hit that stage. Not so funny any more. That glazed yet annoyed, “I’m ignoring this” yet “I’m about to explode” expression on Lois’ face makes its appearance on my face on a regular basis. My son can out-“Mama” Stewie like nobody’s business.
It wouldn’t be so annoying if he actually wanted something, or had something to say. But it tries the patient of a saint (which I am most assuredly NOT) to be on the receiving end of conversation that goes like this:
“Mama!”
“Yes, Ryan?”
“Mama!”
“What is it, Ryan?”
“Mama!”
“What do you need, sweetheart?”
“Mama!”
"What?!?"
"Mama!"
“WHAT?!!!?”
“MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!”
“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!???”
“Hi, Mama!” delivered with a sweet smile.

Or worse, the last line of the conversation is a puzzled, “Huh?” as if to say, “I didn’t say anything.”

Small children are wonderful, and amazing, and delightful, and fun. But sometimes they are also annoying as all get-out. It’s a good thing they have the wisdom (or the dumb luck) to occasionally end the above conversation with, “I love you, Mama!” and a big hug and a kiss. One of those conversations will buy him a get-out-of-jail-free card for a good half dozen of the ones that end in “Huh?”

Now if you’ll excuse my cutting this entry a bit short, I hear a small voice in the next room calling my name…


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment