Wednesday, October 12, 2016

And I'm Not Sharing

My husband took my daughter to dance class today. It just so happens that her dance class is right near his favorite pizza place, so I encouraged him to bring my son along and go out for pizza after class, just the three of them. He thought that was a great idea.

And it was. Because guess what happens when he takes both the kids out? I get to do anything I want, and I don't have to share.

I already started, by eating a pumpkin custard with whipped cream. And nobody ate my whipped cream before I got to it. Or asked for the last bite of my custard.

You know what else I can do when no-one else is home? I can use the bathroom without an audience. On either side of the door. I can even take a bubble bath without a certain small person getting naked and jumping in with me. And bringing approximately 1,427 bath toys with her.

I can sit at the piano and belt out every Broadway tune I know (and they are legion) without anyone requesting that I a) stop singing, or b) sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Boop Boop Dittum Dattum Wattum Choo" instead. Or cringing at missed accidentals. (I'm a good singer, but my piano playing is more enthusiastic than it is skilled.)

I can read whatever cheesy novels I choose without anyone interrupting to request that I read him or her "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" for the 382nd time, or "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" for the 248th, or anything by Dr. Seuss for the gazoomillibillionth time.

I don't have to share the sofa, or my bed, or my favorite armchair. I don't have to share my dinner, or my dessert, or my Kindle Fire, or my computer. I don't have to share the TV. I don't have to share my time.

Now don't get me wrong; most of the time, I'm more than happy to share. I willingly forego those last few bites of steak for my filet mignon-loving son. I don't mind letting my daughter have the whipped cream from my mug of hot chocolate. I'm happy to give them a turn with my electronics. I'll let them choose the TV show or movie they'd prefer to watch.

Sometimes.

But every now and then, I like having everything to myself. So if you'll excuse me, there's something I need to do right now. And I'm not sharing.





Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment