Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dancing with Daddy


I adore my daughter, and in some ways I am (and will always be) closer to her than her daddy. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In some ways, he is (and will always be) closer to our son than I am. Say what you will, I am a firm believer that there are just some commonalities of gender that create a natural bond with the parent of the same sex.

But there are some special things between my husband and our daughter that I will never have. Like dancing together.
Of course, I can dance with her, too. But dancing with your mom is just not the same as dancing with your daddy. That’s why everyone cries at the father-daughter dance at weddings. It shows that very special bond between a man and his little girl (doesn’t matter if she’s 17, 27, or 47 when she gets married, she’s still his little girl) that is now changing forever, as a new man becomes the focus of her life.
A little girl dancing with her daddy is something special. She will never feel safer, or more loved, or more cherished, than she does in the arms of her daddy. She will never feel more beautiful or more graceful than she does in the arms of her daddy.
And I will never feel more proud of them both than I do when I see my littlest sweetheart dancing in the arms of my biggest sweetheart. After all, his daughters are the only girls other than me that he dances with with that much love in his eyes.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment