Friday, October 4, 2013

When You're in Love, It Shows

I saw the title of this blog entry in a list that a friend posted on Facebook recently, and it really struck me. “When you’re in love, it shows.” And it’s really true. When you’re in love, everyone around you should be able to see it. They should see it in how you treat the person you love, and in how that person treats you back.

I’ve been having a rough week this week; I admit it. I’m frustrated with potty training; I’m frustrated with my kids being picky eaters; I’m frustrated with myself as I’m getting ready for a show this weekend; I’m frustrated with my body due to multiple ongoing health issues; I’m not feeling that great and it’s putting me in a much crabbier mood than I would like to be in. And I’m taking it out on the person I love most in the world: my husband. And he’s not giving me a hard time about it.

That’s how I know we’re in love.

I always hated the tagline of the movie Love Story: “Love means never having to day you’re sorry.” I think that’s completely off base. What love REALLY means is that you can’t even live with yourself until you say, “I’m sorry.” When you’re in love, and you do something that hurts the other person, it hurts you even more. Saying “I’m sorry” is the only way to feel less horrible about yourself. When you’re in love, hurting the other person feels worse than hurting yourself. And when you’re in love, you want – no, you NEED - to say “I’m sorry” any time there’s even a vague possibility you might have done something that hurts the person you love.

So I want to use this blog to say, as publicly as I know how, “I’m sorry” to my husband. I’m sorry that I’ve been crabby and short-tempered lately. I’m sorry that I haven’t taken responsibility for some of the annoying things I’ve done. I’m sorry that I got mad at you for things that were out of your control. I’m sorry that I haven’t been the most pleasant person to be around lately.

That’s how I show that I’m in love: I DO say that I’m sorry.

And the way my husband shows that HE’s in love too is to accept my apology, and even to tell me that it’s not necessary. And it’s not. But, to quote Galinda in the musical Wicked, in response to Elphaba’s comment, “You don’t have to do that.”: “I know. That’s what makes me so nice.” And he doesn’t have to accept it. But he does. And that’s what makes him so nice.


And that’s what shows not only me, but everyone around, that he’s in love. And so am I. Yeah, it shows. <3 o:p="">

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment