Wednesday, September 7, 2016

One Year Later

Every now and then I like to look back over my blog and see what I was up to on this date a year ago, or a few years ago, or quite a few years ago. And although it isn't exactly to the day, on September 8, 2015, almost exactly one year ago, my son and I had our first official day of homeschool.

This is what my kids looked like on that day:

And this is what I looked like on that day:

Last week I sent both kids off - not just to school, but to school on the school bus - and they looked like this:

But I looked like this:

It was quite a year. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I did it. And it was absolutely the right choice for all concerned. But one year later, homeschooling had done exactly what it was supposed to do, and despite the slightest hint of trepidation, I was happy and proud to wave goodbye to two excited and confident children as they hopped on that bus without a single backwards glance.


Who'd have guessed one year ago that this day would go so easily? Looking back one more year, to September 4, 2014, when I began unofficially homeschooling my son, I certainly wouldn't have. That year was a year of planning and practicing and dipping my toe in the pool. One year ago was actually jumping into the pool. And this year is standing on the edge, watching my kids paddle around while not jumping in to save them when they don't need saving, or to check on them, or even to critique their swimming style.

Of course, if they are genuinely in distress and in need of saving, I'll be there in a heartbeat. But until they need me, I'll just be over here chillin' with my fellow lifeguard.




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment