Wednesday, May 6, 2020

COVID-19 Homeschool, Day 35

Since the kids did so well working independently yesterday, we're using that model again. I told them I wouldn't check in on their work until the end of the day, and if I found out that they were goofing off all day, I'd be writing them a specific schedule, but as long as they go their work done, I'd continue to let them manage their own time. Here's how it worked out:

7-8:30am: Everyone slept very well last night and we were all up early, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. We had breakfast, got dressed, brushed, and washed, and were ready to go promptly at 8:30!

8:30-9am: I went over the rules (which rooms they could be in, no bugging each other, wear headphones if doing something with sound, etc.) and got them launched on their first activity. My son did a project involving finding something around the house and making a video describing multiple uses for it (he chose a helmet he had made from a cardboard box). My daughter did an art project involving finding something around the house, drawing it in the style of a cartoon, then cutting out the drawing and making a video to make the drawing "interact" with the environment in some way. (She chose the hamster as her "object;" I have not yet seen her cartoon or how it interacted, but I suspect it was adorable and hilarious.)

9-9:30am: I was in a virtual meeting, so I have no idea what they were working on. I'll find out during our check-in at the end of the day.

9:30-10am: They both opted to do independent reading, my daughter using Epic and my son choosing one of his own books.

10-10:30am: My beloved half-hour haven of online education: My daughter watching Circle Time with Miss Tracey, my son learning about careers in marine biology with the Great White Shark Conservancy.

11-11:30am: Both kids wanted some outside exercise time, so I gladly sent them outside with jumpropes and sidewalk chalk and told them to knock themselves out (hopefully not literally). It's a bit cool and overcast, but as I move stuff around for the painters who are coming on Friday, they're feeling a little cramped.

11:30am-1pm: Free time (which will probably just be a continuation of their outside exercise time) and lunch break. They're on their own to make themselves lunch today, since I have an online meeting at noon.

1-1:45pm: My son had a Google Classroom Meeting but it turned out to be optional, so instead he's working on math, as is my daughter. I very highly doubt they both did math for the full 45 minutes, but they probably did it for at least 20 minutes. Maybe even 30.

1:45-2pm: My son was supposed to fit in a quick trombone practice session. He did not. I did not call him on it. We both survived.

3:15-4:45pm: My daughter has her jazz and tap dance classes. She's working very hard, even though her favorite part of dance class is being with her friends. I've noticed a decided lack of enthusiasm since dance classes became virtual. I mean, she still loves to dance, but the actual classes have lost a little of their appeal. But she hasn't complained, so I think we'll be able to hang in there until isolation is over.

Once again, I got an awful lot done, and they...didn't. But also again, I'm not going to worry about it. They're still learning to manage their time (somewhat), and to work independently. And I'm learning that I don't have to be looking over their shoulder all day.

It's not ideal, but it's working. And these days, that's more than enough.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment