Thursday, May 7, 2020

COVID-19 Homeschool, Day 36

Today is a day of bits and pieces. I'm trying to go through each of the kids' assignments and pick up some of the little bits and pieces that aren't getting done. They're both pretty good about doing their math and ELA (English Language Arts; i.e., reading, writing, comprehensive), but things like practicing their instruments, doing drama assignments, and other smaller tasks - which are often fun! - are being neglected. So it's a bit of a catch-up day.

7-8:30am: The usual, breakfast, dressed, brushed, yada yada yada. Both kids are having Chromebook issues so Dad is working on one and the other is just languishing. So for right now, everyone will be sharing my laptop.

8:30-8:45am: The children's choir at our church is putting together a virtual choir song for Mother's Day this Sunday, so I had the kids practice together. They have a rehearsal with the director tonight, but I wanted them to be prepared.

8:45-9:30am: We reviewed my son's assignment list and realized that although he's been reading for 30 minutes every day, he hasn't been completed the required summary page and submitting it to his teacher. So he's going back and writing up a summary for Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. (Fortunately, after a hard re-start, his Chromebook seems to be working again.) My daughter worked on various math games on sites including Greg Tang Math and Math Playground.

9:30-10am: Both kids chose to do independent reading; my daughter opting for Superfly by Anthony Gonzalez and Ron Chepesiuk and my son choosing Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper, a book that they read (but didn't finish) for his Challenge Class. While they work, I am ironing cotton curtains. YARDS of cotton curtains. Fortunately, yards of freshly laundered cotton curtains, which means they smell lovely. Also, my pores have never been so clear.

10-10:45am: They watched their usual Facebook Live presentations (Miss Tracey's Circle Time wasn't actually live today, which was good because my daughter didn't get started until nearly 10:10). After she finished, I had her answer some questions on her reading to submit to her teacher. My son watched the Atlantic Shark Conservancy, which ran all the way until 10:45am.

10:45-11am: Since I didn't know how long the 11am presentation would last, I let them take a quick break.

11am-noon: Our friend J.T. Turner, founder of the Actors Company and a professional actor who does all kinds of educational performances representing historical characters, did a Facebook Live presentation on Aesop (he of fable fame).

12-1pm: Lunch break and free time! A little shorter than usual today, but I gave them an extra break, plus they've had several short days lately, so I don't feel too badly about it. Especially because neither one of them is complaining.

1-2pm: My son's teacher changed her weekly Google Classroom meeting, so now both kids have class meetings on 1pm on Thursdays. Unfortunately, with my daughter's Chromebook still not fixed, I'm sacrificing my laptop for an hour so she doesn't have to miss out.

6:30-7pm: I'm also giving them credit for their evening choir rehearsal!

We all accomplished a lot today, and with very little complaining! Another good day at Isolation School.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment