Monday, February 1, 2010

I. Dunno Lives at My House Now

Do you remember in the old Family Circus comics when the mother would ask the kids, "Who left the refrigerator door open?" or "Who left muddy footprints on the living room floor?" or "Who spilled milk and didn't wipe it up?" and the kids would all answer, "Not me" and "I dunno"? And then the mother would picture a pair of characters who looked a bit like Casper the Friendly Ghost wearing shirts that said "Not Me" and "I. Dunno" opening the fridge, and running through the house with muddy boots, and knocking over a glass of milk.

I suspect that I. Dunno has gotten better manners and moved into my house.

It's the only explanation I can think of. Because this morning I got up with the baby at 6:30 am and when I finally got back to the bedroom at 10 to get dressed, someone had made the bed. Who? I. Dunno. And when I went into the laundry room to wash the results of the world's poopiest diaper explosion, someone had finished and folded the previous load. Who? I. Dunno. Last night when I got home from visiting my mom at the hospital, someone had cleaned out the refrigerator and washed out all the Tupperware. Who? I. Dunno.

I. Dunno never announces that he's done these things, never asks for thanks, never keeps track of what I "owe" him for all these favors. He rarely even lets me see him doing them. He just quietly notices things I haven't gotten to, or that are difficult for me, and does them for me without fuss or fanfare. If I. Dunno sees that the diaper pail is getting full, he empties it. On cold nights, he turns on my electric blanket before I go to bed so the sheets are toasty warm when I crawl in. When Ryan and I get stuffy, he keeps our humidifiers filled so I don't have to lug the heavy tanks down the hall.

I. Dunno has certainly come a long way since his days of leaving messes and mayhem in his wake. I wonder what he looks like now that he's all grown up. Actually, I don't have to wonder at all. I know exactly what he looks like, because his is the first face I see every morning and the last face I see every night. How did I get so lucky as to find a husband like that? I. Dunno!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment