Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Daze of Days

One of the most difficult things I've had to keep track of while being a stay-at-home mom is what the heck day of the week it is (forget about knowing the specific date; without my computer that's NEVER gonna happen). I suppose it's really more a function of not having a regular 9 to 5 job than of being a mom, but the problem remains: I can never remember what day of the week it is.


I've actually discovered a few tricks to help me out. Most of them rely on remembering what I did yesterday, which in itself can be a problem, but at least it's a start. For example, if I watched "24" last night (I might forget to watch but Herb NEVER would), I know it must be Tuesday.

If I heard the trash and recycling trucks in the morning, it must be Thursday -- unless it's a holiday week, in which case it's Friday. But if it's a holiday week, I'm already completely confused so the trash truck doesn't throw me off any more than I already am.
If I went to church yesterday, today must be Monday.


Occasionally there are additional clues, such as Herb going to Tuesday and Thursday rehearsals. So if he doesn't come home after work, I can at least assume it's one or the other. But that's not especially helpful when I'm trying to figure out whether to make him supper or not.

Fortunately, there are very few times when it actually matters whether I know what day it is. If either Ryan or I have a doctor's appointment, it's kind of a big deal. But most of those times, Herb is planning on going with us and he can keep track for me. So even that isn't an issue. But it does make me feel a bit scattered and out of touch at times. Thank goodness I can always check the computer to remind myself. The trouble is, a lot of the time I think I know what day is it so I don't check - but I turn out to have either missed a day or jumped ahead a day.

Oh well, I guess that's just one of the pitfalls of motherhood that you learn to live with. And I suspect that only a few short years from now, when I'm juggling karate lessons, and swimming lessons, and soccer practice, and choir, and youth group, I'll have a few too many reasons to remember what day it is. So for know, let's just call it "ignorance is bliss" and enjoy the blur!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment