Friday, August 27, 2010

Ah Pool, How I've Missed Thee

It’s been rainy and dreary and cool for most of this week, so the pool has stayed hidden under its little grey insulating blanket. But finally the sun came out yesterday and it felt like August again, so we uncovered the pool. It took some work to get all the fallen leaves and twigs and gunk that the rain and wind knocked into it cleaned out, but now it’s clean and beautiful once again and I’m recognizing how much I'd missed it over the past few days.

Last night we moved Ryan’s playpen out onto the pool deck so he could watch us clean while he played, and so he could get some of the fresh air and sunshine that I’m sure he missed as much as we did. We all ate dinner poolside and watched for the “batty-bats” to come out and eat their dinner, too. Ryan gazed at the tiki torches around the pool in absolute fascination, and was mesmerized by their reflections on the shiny stainless steel grill and on the surface of the pool itself. Bedtime was a piece of cake since he was already half-comatose from the combination of full tummy, fresh air, and intoxicating fire-watching. He was literally asleep before his head hit the pillow.

And it was wonderful to come back down to the pool after I’d tucked him in, to just sit with my sweetheart, enjoying a glass of wine and letting myself be mesmerized by the torches just as much as Ryan had been. I forget how relaxing the pool is, even when you’re not swimming in it. The sound and smell and sight of the water lapping against the sides of the pool, hearing all the summer insects buzzing contentedly in the trees, enjoying the cool evening breeze - all my senses are being soothed and my whirling mind can’t help but be slowed down and mellowed out. It’s a wonderful sensation, being poolside at night.

As a matter of fact, it’s pretty good being poolside during the day, too. If you’ll excuse me, I think I might just have time for a quick dip before Ryan finishes his nap!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment