Thursday, February 14, 2013

What My Husband Is Getting Me for Valentine’s Day (and Doesn’t Even Know It)


My husband is a terrific gift-giver. For various occasions over the years, the list of gifts he has given me has included a GPS, a re-creation of my wedding bouquet, a set of real pearl jewelry, a Kindle Fire, a stylish leather coat, a designer dress, and innumerable fancy dinners. And these gifts are all very special to me. But what is even more special to me is the list of things he gives me on non-occasions.

He takes me out to dinner when he comes home and sees that I look tired or overwhelmed.
He takes out the trash.

He does the laundry, unloads the dishwasher, makes the bed, and puts away the kids’ toys when I don’t get to it, without ever complaining or even mentioning it.
He works long hours so I can afford to stay home with the kids.

He encourages me to splurge on myself sometimes.
He pushes me to do things he knows I’d enjoy but am too afraid to try.

He lets me cry on his shoulder without making me feel weak.
He pre-heats my side of the bed.

He never complains about my cold feet or my snoring.
He tells me every day that he loves me.

He tells me how much he appreciates everything I do, and that I’m a great wife and mom.
He takes my car in for oil changes and inspection stickers and new tires and detailing and probably other stuff that I don’t even realize needs doing.

He always offers to drive when we go to scary places, like Boston.
He laughs with me.

He encourages me to take time for myself, and does everything he can to make that possible.
He loves me for who I am, not who he wishes I were or even who I could be.

He compliments me.
He complements me.

Most of the things on this list, he probably does without even thinking about it. A few of the things, he does because he knows they make me happy. But mostly, he just does them because that’s the wonderful, kind, thoughtful, generous, sweet, loving person that he is.

And that’s why he’s my Valentine. Happy Valentine’s Day, sweetheart!
 

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. That was so sweet and you did get a sweet guy.. but you are well deserved of all the above.. Happy Valentines Day .

    ReplyDelete