Wednesday, February 18, 2015

2015 Lent Photo a Day Challenge: Announce

Every now and then I like to challenge myself to blog every day for a month based on some online photo challenge. Since today is Ash Wednesday, I thought I’d take on a slightly different photo challenge for the 40 days of Lent. The concepts to be captured in this challenge are a bit more abstract, truly more “challenging,” than photo challenges I’ve done in the past. Here is the list, by date (from www.rethinkchurch.org/lent):

February
18 – Announce
19 – Look
20 – Alone
21 – Joy
22 – Celebrate
23 – Covenant
24 – Path
25 – Remember
26 – Place
27 – Wait
28 – Powers

March
1 – Celebrate
2 – Bless
3 – Near
4 – Poor
5 – Follow
6 – Beloved
7 – Speak
8 – Celebrate
9 – Sabbath
10 – Knowledge
11 – Wise
12 – Stop
13 – Practice
14 – Search
15 – Celebrate
16 – Wilderness
17 – Endure
18 – Believe
19 – Light
20 – Place
21 – Still
22 – Celebrate
23 – Forgive
24 – Mercy
25 – Truth
26 – Seek
27 – Meditate
28 – See
29 – Celebrate
30 – Live
31 – Call

April
1 – Peace
2 – Breath
3 – Prosper
4 – Refuge
5 – Go


With today’s subject being “announce,” the first image that jumped into my head was of a row of heralds trumpeting, the shining brass bells of their horns raised high, blaring a joyful fanfare.


This particular bell belongs to a French horn, not a herald’s trumpet. It’s a bit battered, bearing dents and scratches earned through many years of use. The edge of the bell has lost its finish and has bits that have become ugly and crusty. And yet it can still call out a glorious announcement of something wonderful and exciting that is to come. Much like people, its outward looks do not reflect its potential for beauty and service. I am proud to use it to announce my intentions of taking up this challenge, because it is imperfect, just as I am. I can only hope that the humble efforts put forth by my battered self can serve to share some beauty, just as this battered horn shares a beauty other than its appearance. 

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment