Saturday, March 16, 2024

The Plateau That Wouldn't Die: Week 10 Check-In

At this point, I feel a little like Sisyphus: I'm still working hard, yet I'm not seeing any results. Fortunately, unlike Sisyphus, I haven't lost (gained) much ground, I just haven't gained (lost) much, either. In other words, I'm still on a plateau, yoyo-ing between 157 point something and just over 158 pounds. (That said, this morning I clocked in at a cool 156.2 pounds, so I'm hoping this plateau is ending soon. *knocks on wood*)


I haven't been overdoing it with treats, although I will readily admit that I've been tempted to have treats without sacrificing something else more this week than any week so far. 

One thing that has given me more of a positive outlook is that I'm starting to move from my winter wardrobe to my spring wardrobe, and I've been pulling out quite a few articles of clothing that I haven't been able to wear in a couple of years. It's like I'm going shopping without ever leaving the house! Lightweight pants that used to be too snug in the thighs, sheath-style dresses that may have fit but didn't flatter, short-sleeve tops that I can now tuck in. It reminds me that even if I never lose another ounce, I've made significant progress. I look better, and more importantly, I feel better. 

However, I'm continuing to seek support and inspiration from other people's weight loss journeys. For example, I came across a great article by Ree Drummond (aka "The Pioneer Woman"), who lost 55 pounds (!) over the course of one year. She had a list of 10 tips, many of which I found helpful, because either they reinforced something that I was already doing or experiencing, or they were new ideas that I wanted to try. Among the reinforcements were these ideas: 

  • Starting with a strict diet doesn't necessarily mean it'll stay that way forever, or even as long as you're working on losing.
  • Your body gets used to smaller portions so you don't feel hungry or unsatisfied after a meal.
  • A little bit of alcohol is okay.
  • Daily weigh-ins, although not for everyone, work great for some people (apparently including Ree and me).
  • You don't have to completely ban any foods, just be reasonable about frequency and portion size.
  • Trying different strategies can be helpful to find what works for you - or what combination works for you.
  • Minimize wasted calories: sugary treats, anything I eat or drink because I'm bored or to be social rather than because I'm hungry, anything you eat without deliberate enjoyment or satisfaction (no mindless snacking directly from the bag!). This falls under my "trade-off" plan.
  • Changing your diet is a long-term plan, not a quick fix that you can drop when you're done. 
And the new ideas that I'd like to try were:
  • Even if you don't exercise in a formal sense, moving is important, even if it's just parking further away from the store or getting out of your chair and walking down the hall a few times a day. 
  • Building muscle helps boost your metabolism, and you get the biggest bang from building up the biggest muscles; i.e., your legs and glutes. 
  • Eat more protein and fewer carbs (especially sugar). 

One thing Ree did that I refuse to do is counting calories and weighing food. That might work for some people, but for me, it's simply a time-consuming chore that frustrates and annoys me, and one that doesn't provide a significant benefit. I know how much I usually eat so I can eyeball an appropriately smaller portion size. I know what in my diet has higher (or empty) calories. I can "common sense" my choices and get pretty close to what I'd be doing if I were weighing and calculating, but without the time and frustration involved. 

The good thing about these needed changes is that spring is here! For the past week we've had a constant stream of wild beasties in our yard (chipmunks, raccoons, opossums, skunks, red foxes, and deer), which is a sure sign that warmer weather is coming. And warmer weather is always an easier time for me to both eat lighter and get more exercise. A warm, sunny day practically invites me to go for a walk; the wider availability of fresh vegetables encourages me to make healthier choices; and the foods I'm craving are lighter dishes cooked on the grill with fresh herbs rather than heavy sauces or gravies. Bring on the salmon, summer squash, grilled chicken, fresh tomatoes and basil, green salads, and all the bounty that local gardens have to offer. 

I'm ready. 

Quote for the Week:

The only successful way to reach and maintain a healthy weight is to find what works for you. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment