Wednesday, October 26, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 3

1. Find a person/cause to be thankful for and thank them in person and/or in writing.

Today, I am thankful for Herb’s daughter, Rosemary. She arrived in Massachusetts the same day that Katie made her appearance, and has been a big help with both kids ever since her arrival. She uncomplainingly babysits so Herb and I can have a night out, or go to a doctor’s appointment. She takes Ryan on walks to visit the construction equipment that has been up and down the street all fall. She brings the kids to the playground. She takes Ryan to gymnastics class. She keeps an eye on one kid while I’m busy managing the other. She adores her little brother and her little sister. And I am so thankful that she is getting this opportunity to spend time with them and get to know them.

2. Find 3 things for which you are thankful to God and post them where you can see.

Today, I am thankful for comfortable shoes (I have weird-shaped feet, arthritis, and terrible bunions, so this is more of a big deal than one might think). I am thankful for pleasant neighbors. And I am thankful for washable crayons (for exactly the reason you suspect).

3. Keep a daily journal of your thanksgiving including situations where you are challenged to be thankful.

This is only day 3 of the 30-day challenge, and already I am spending several minutes thinking of three things to be thankful for. I came up with some rather trite things and feel like I’m copping out, but then I thought, aren’t we supposed to be grateful for the small things? God made ladybugs as well as giraffes, and intended both for our enjoyment. Washable crayons might seem like a dumb thing to be thankful for, but they’re saved my furniture on numerous occasions, not to mention clothes, rugs, and paint. Small things can be more significant than they seem! So I’ll keep being thankful for the small things.


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Thats a great idea ..to write down your graditude and thankfulness for people in your life... we all to often take those people for granted.. thanks for the reminder and thanks for being you ..Sandy. you are a special soul.I do agree that having Rosie home is a blessing ..and it is such a great time for all the bonding going on over there. Family ...thats what its all about.

    ReplyDelete