Monday, July 13, 2015

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning

I’m not a morning person, so it’s not often that I’m up at the crack of dawn by choice. But between my regular bouts of insomnia and having a young daughter who gets up at 5:30 or 6am every day, once in a while I choose to get up with the sun and enjoy the peace and quiet of the early morning before the demands of my daily schedule kick in.

When I’m up this early, I see things I don’t usually see, like the pink of the sunrise peeping over the horizon outside my kitchen window. Like the neighborhood bunny hopping languidly through the grass, enjoying his breakfast. Like the mourning doves strutting across the porch, gently hooting to each other. 

With the menfolk still asleep upstairs, I get to spend some uninterrupted time with my daughter, reading books together, chatting, or even just sleepily snuggling, with no other demands for my attention. I am reminded of how quickly she is growing up, and of how much she changes from month to month, week to week, and even day to day. These quiet mornings give me a chance to enjoy her exactly as she is in this particular moment, to focus completely on her without distractions. I am fascinated and amazed by this beautiful child that I helped create. I am reminded of what a blessing she is.

As much as I love words, sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words, so instead of writing any more about the joys of early morning, I’ll share some images of those joys. 




Good morning!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment