Thursday, June 9, 2016

Photo of the Day: Four Things


My son is not a big sweet-eater. Every now and then he likes to have a lollipop as a treat, or maybe a cookie. But there is one kind of sweet that he'll practically turn himself inside-out for, and that's a York Peppermint Patty.

Today we were at the grocery store picking up a few supplies for a couple of baking projects, and I asked him if there was anything he'd like me to get: apples, meatballs, a particular kind of pasta. He hesitated for a moment, then asked, "Can we get some peppermint patties to keep in the fridge?"

I don't usually buy a lot of sweets and junk foods for the kids, but now and then I do like to get them a treat, so I decided this was a good opportunity to give in. We picked out a bag of middle-sized patties (not tiny bite-size ones, and not huge saucer-sized ones), and after carefully scanning them at the price checker, he placed them gently in the cart. After we checked out, he proudly carried the bag containing his precious peppermint patties out to the car.

So it was no surprise when, after we finished eating dinner, he immediately asked if he could have a peppermint patty for dessert. I sent him upstairs to get a couple out of the fridge. He came back carrying four candies in his hands, but before I could open my mouth to scold him that four was too many, he solemnly handed one to his dad, one to his sister, and tucked one next to my plate. He hadn't taken just one for himself. He'd taken four, so he could share.

Four Things.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment