Thursday, January 5, 2017

Photo a Day: A Fave Thing

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favorite things." Like Maria, I can't cut down my list of favorite things to a single favorite thing. If I were writing that song for myself, it would be something like, "Warm cozy blankets and bubbles in bathtubs, extra cheese pizza and snuggling with my hubs, shiny red crockpots and an oven that sings, these are a few of my favorite things."

"Cozy" and "warm" and "comfy" are all words that come into play often when I think of my favorite things. Cozy sweaters, warm slippers, comfy pajamas. I like to wear things and spend time in places that make me feel physically warm and relaxed. My bed, the sofa with a blanket, in front of the fireplace. Ah, the fireplace.


My fireplace is cozy and pretty and welcoming at any time of the year, but I think it's an especially favorite place for me at Christmastime. Not only are there lots of cold nights that time of year when we build a cozy fire in it, but also the decorations are "emotionally cozy". The stockings with the names of all 5 members of my family bring us close even if not all of us are physically present. The Nutcrackers on the mantel remind me of my late parents-in-law who had a beautiful Nutcracker collection (which no doubt inspired my husband's collection), the candles and greens and lights in the center of the mantel always represent a group decorating effort (my husband usually cuts and often arranges the greens with help from the kids while I add the candles and other decorations), and of course the general aura of Christmas inspires the joyous awe and wonder and anticipation of my young children.

My fireplace also evokes memories of the happy family gatherings that are often around it. We sit on the floor for special family or romantic dinners; we host large and small parties, dinners and cocktail parties and cast parties and champagne tastings; we play games as a family - Battleship and the Disney Princess Cupcake Game and Twister and Candyland and War; many is the pleasant nap that one or more family members have enjoyed in front of a cozy fire there.

So the fireplace evokes memories of coziness, both physical and emotional. It is, indeed, "a fave thing."


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment