Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Photo a Day, January 2017

As I was reviewing my files in order to write my retrospective on 2016, it struck me that I haven't done any Photo a Day challenges in a while. So for the month of January, I'll be posting a daily photo - along with commentary, of course - based on Fat Mum Slim' s prompts:

Since it's already January 3rd, I'm several days behind. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure I can knock off the first three subjects in a single photograph.

1: my fave colour
2: delicious
3: circle

My 5-year-old daughter is fascinated by the idea that everyone has a favorite color, so one of the first questions she asks everyone she meets is, "What is your favorite color?" (usually followed by the happy exclamation, "Mine's purple!"). She also repeatedly confirms with everyone in the family that our favorite colors have not changed. She's totally flummoxed by the fact that her brother changes his favorite color on a regular basis. But fortunately, she can always rely on Mum and Dad to confirm that indeed, we do both still love green. Any time she brings me a something with a choice of colors, she offers me the green one. I can't remember the last time I ate an M&M that wasn't green. And you can be quite certain that I am not allowed to eat any of the Kisses in this bowl other than the green-wrapped ones. She, of course, always chooses a purple for herself. Fortunately, my son's current favorite color is red, so eventually we will polish off all these Kisses.

This photograph also carries out the theme of delicious, because not only are the objects in the photo chocolate, they are DARK chocolate. My whole family shares a love of dark chocolate. Milk chocolate is fine, in limited quantities, but it feels like a pale, sickly-sweet imitation of the real thing. White chocolate is fabulous, but it's a completely different flavor. Dark chocolate, though...the richness, the perfect balance of bitter and sweet, the smooth texture on the tongue. It is the embodiment of the word "delicious."

And finally, the simple circle of a bowl is rarely used in our house except at Christmas time. It's simple white circle never competes with the embellishments of Christmas candy, whether it be red and green M&Ms, miniature red-and-white striped candy canes, or - as here - brilliantly purple, red, and green foil wrapped Hershey's Kisses. Growing up, my family always had a bowl of ribbon candy set out at Christmas, and it was nearly always displayed in a similarly plain, unadorned silver dish. Complexity is set off by simplicity. The white circle needs the brilliant colors and the brilliant colors need the white circle.

My fave colour. Delicious. Circle.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment