Friday, March 24, 2023

A Family Playlist That No-one Will Hate

My family recently decided to get rid of satellite radio in both cars. Which means that if we want to listen to music, we can find an FM radio station or play music using our cell phones. My usual way of selecting music is in the house, where I merely say to the air, "Alexa, play music by Michael Bublé " or "Alexa, play Mean Girls, original Broadway cast recording." But as I'm learning to use my phone to play music, I'm also learning the joy of playlists. Naturally, I set up my own personal playlist, which is full of Michael Bublé, and Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson, and Manhattan Transfer. But when I'm in the car with my kids (currently ages 11 and 13), I want to have a playlist that includes music that both they and I will enjoy - or at least that we can all tolerate. Here's what we came up with 

"Uptown Funk" - Bruno Mars

With its pulsing rhythm, deep bass vocal line, and simple melody, this tune will get in your head very quickly. Even before you've figured out most of the lyrics, you'll find yourself chiming in on, "Hey hey hey OOOOHHH!!," "Uptown, funk you up, I say uptown funk you up,"  and of course, "doh DOH-doh, doh DOH-doh, doh-DOH." 

Best lyric: "If we show up, we gon' show out, smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy." Now THAT'S smooth.

"Sunroof" - Nicky Youre

This song hearkens back to the upbeat, bubblegum hits of the '80s (think "Walkin' on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves or "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper). It opens with a cheery "la la la-di-dah di-ya-dah" that makes you happy from the get-go. You'll wanna stick your head out of your own sunroof and sing by the end.

Best lyrics: "You got me stuck on the thought of you, you're making me feel brand new. You're more than the sunshine in my eyes." Awwwww.

"Rain on Me" - Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande

These two voices work surprisingly well together, with an interesting mix of singing and raplike-chanting. If you listen to the lyrics, the message is basically, "There's pain in life, but it's worth going through it in order to get the joy of living." A good reminder for oft-heartbroken teens.

Best lyrics: "Water like misery, it's coming down on me. I'm ready, rain on me. I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive." 

"Shape of You" - Ed Sheeran

I'm a big fan of Ed Sheeran, so it was hard to choose just one of his songs (other solid candidates: "Perfect," "Shivers," and "Thinking Out Loud"), but the boomwhackers in the opening lick of this one win me over every time. Despite being very much centered on the idea of physical and sexual love, the lyrics are relatively tame and focus more on emotional love and the relationship than sex. It's actually a very sweet love story. 

Best lyrics: "One week in we let the story begin: We're going out on our first date. You and me are thrifty, so go all you can eat, fill up your bag and I fill up a plate. We talk for hours and hours about the sweet and the sour and how your family is doing okay. Leave and get in a taxi, then kiss in the backseat, tell the driver make the radio play."

"Sucker" - Jonas Brothers

More boomwhackers! (That's what I'm a sucker for, clearly.) Singable tune, licks of whistling, rhythms to clap and snap along with, and a refrain with layers of harmony added in. I can't help but belt this one out whenever it comes on, much to my kids' chagrin. And it has an ENDING, rather than a fade-out. I'm also a sucker for that. 

Best lyrics: "We go together better than birds of a feather, you and me. We change the weather, yeah - I'm feeling heat in December when you're 'round me."

"Levitating" - Dua Lipa ft. DaBaby

I like the rhythm and melody, my kids like the rap section in the middle, and we all laugh when she refers to him as her "Sugar Boo". Like Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You," the lyrics are obliquely about sex, but they're subtle enough to be inoffensive to me. 

Best lyrics: "My Sugar Boo." Yeah, I don't really listen to this one for the lyrics. They're not horrible, they're just fluff. But this line really does make me laugh. 

"Shake It Off" - Taylor Swift

This song is Taylor at her adorkable best, super bubblegum pop music. You can't help but bop to the rhythm. But what I like best is the message that even Taylor Swift is kind of a hot mess sometimes, and you just have to keep going and "shake it off" when other people give you a hard time. 

Best lyrics: "I'm dancin' on my own, I make the moves up as I go, and that's what they don't know." We're all faking our way through life, even Taylor Swift. 

Note: The cover version from the animated movie "Sing" is brilliant. 

"Roar" - Katy Perry  

My daughter and I debated quite seriously over whether "Firework" or "Roar" should be included in this list and honestly, either one was a great choice. But while the message of "Firework" is internal ("I am special and worthy"), the message of "Roar" is more external ("I can overcome whatever I need to"). It's an especially great message for teen girls, whose voices are often ignored. Plus, we both really like to sing along with "Roar".

Best lyrics: "I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath, scared to rock the boat and make a mess. So I sat quietly, agreed politely, I guess that I forgot I had a choice."

"Higher" - Michael Bublé

My husband and I listen to Bublé ALL THE TIME, which drives my kids slightly crazy. But they will admit that they love the driving beat of this song, especially the timpani beats. Be sure to watch the official music video (linked above), brilliantly directed by Derek Hough, who also choreographed. Hough surrounds Bublé (who is very much a non-dancer) with fabulous dancers, including Hough's own fiancée, Hayley Erbert, who pretty much throws herself around while making Bublé look like he's dancing (kind of). The behind-the-scenes video is a fun watch, and makes you truly appreciate the hard work and skill of all the dancers. 

"There's Nothing Holding Me Back" - Shawn Mendes

I like the plinky guitar and the slight raspiness of Mendes' voice in this song. The melody is simple but the pulsing rhythm is catchy. 

Best lyrics: "If you were by my side and we stumbled in the dark, I know we'd be alright."

"Watermelon Sugar" - Harry Styles

This song is the musical equivalent of a summer beach read: Not much substance, but sweet and fun. It's a little more mellow than most of the more upbeat-songs on this list, but it isn't quite a ballad. It's a little repetitive, but it's harmless and pretty catchy. 

Best lyrics: "Strawberries on a summer evenin', baby, you're the end of June." About 75% of the lyrics are just the words "watermelon sugar high," so there wasn't a lot of choice - again, not a song I listen to for the brilliance of its lyrics.

"Try Everything" - Shakira

From the movie "Zootopia," this song is a few years old but I love the message and the way it's presented. A catchy tune reminding us that it's okay to fail - everyone does - but you need to get up and try again.

Best lyrics: "I won't give up, no, I won't give in 'til I reach the end, and then I'll start again. No, I won't leave, I wanna try everything, I wanna try even though I could fail. I'll keep on making those new mistakes, I'll keep on making them every day."

"Me Too" - Meghan Trainor 

I don't love this tune (I don't hate it, either), but my kids like it, and I'm certainly in favor of its message of confidence that comes from within yourself, not from outside validation, particularly when delivered by a singer who doesn't conform to Hollywood beauty standards of being a size 2 with a thigh gap.

Best lyrics: "I thank God every day that I woke up feelin' this way, and I can't help lovin' myself and I don't need nobody else, no."

"High Hopes" by Panic at the Disco"

This song has great energy, plus a cool techno sound and an amazing lead singer. And it reminds teens to remember to listen to their mother. I like that part a lot. 

Best lyrics: "Mama said fulfill the prophecy, be something greater, go make a legacy."

"Shut Up and Dance" - Walk the Moon

Sometimes we all get a little too caught up in our own thoughts - or our own conversations. Sometimes you just need to shut up and dance. 

Best lyrics: "I said you're holding back, she said shut up and dance with me. This woman is my destiny."

"Happy" by Pharrell Williams

Ending with a classic, because I'm pretty sure I'm physically incapable of hearing this song without singing along. It's just, well, happy

Best lyrics: "Can't nothing bring me down, my level's too high to bring me down." Shakespeare it's not, but it's simply...happy. 

Pentatonix also does a fantastic cover version. I recommend watching the linked music video and choose a single singer to focus on throughout (the bass, lower left, is especially fascinating, as is the beatbox guy, lower right). It's like a master class in a cappella arranging. 


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment