Wednesday, March 8, 2023

My Week in Fashion: Wednesday

Happy Hump Day! I'm going in to work for a short day today, and since the heat in my office was a little wonky yesterday, I'm wearing layers. I'll probably toss on a hat for the walk in from the parking lot (it was snowing lightly a few minutes ago), but I'm having a very cute hair day so I'm leaving it off for now.


Let's start at the top and work our way down through my look! 

Although I'm not against traditional knit cardigans, long or short, I find they can get in my way at work, and are often too heavy. So I've become a big fan of lighter-weight jersey cardigans, especially drape-front cardigans. I have no idea where I got the one I'm wearing (probably Dress Barn) or how much I paid for it (probably $20-$25), but I found this similar drape-front cardigan from Kohl's for $26.99. I prefer the vivid turquoise, mainly because I wear a lot of dark blue, which can be hard to match, but the vivid color allows a lot more forgiveness of the shades with which it can coordinate. Because of the stretchy fabric, I can wear the sleeves down without feeling that they're too short, but more often I push the sleeves up, and because the sleeves are fairly snug, they stay up, which I love, because there's nothing more annoying than spending all day pushing your cuffs up out of your way! The pointed front panels also extend down, creating vertical lines which always make you long longer and leaner. 

Finally, a piece that I know exactly where I got it and how much I paid, mostly because I bought it for a trip we look this past Christmas. The basic navy top I often wore with these pants had gotten a bleach spot on it, so I needed a replacement. I paid $20.40 for this Amazon Essentials women's sleeveless woven shirt, but the price has since gone down to only $18. If they had it in white, I'd buy another one, because it's a terrific basic piece that works under a lot of other pieces, or by itself. I love that even though it's sleeveless, the armholes (fun fact: the sewing term for an armhole is the "armscye") aren't cut in especially deeply, so I don't have to deal with my usual issue of my bra straps peeking out. In addition, the slit at the neck creates a nice line without being too deep, and the gathering at the back of the neck allows for comfortable movement when I need to reach and stretch. And the hem is curved, so it gives it a polished look when I leave it untucked (as I nearly always do). 

I'm pretty certain that these pants were also a Dress Barn find, which tells you how long I've owned them. Wide-legged pants, especially in a fabric that isn't overly drapy or clingy, are a good look on me, as they camouflage my heavy thighs and thicker waist. The waistband is elastic but also has a drawstring which ties in a bow on the outside, which makes them look less matronly and adds a little feminine touch (if it shows). Amazon and Kohl's both carry similar styles in multiple fabric patterns, including these wide-leg elastic waist pants from Amazon for $28.99 (about what I paid for mine). They're often available in cropped and ankle styles, which don't look good on me but might be just your thing. 

One more item that I know where I got and how I got it is this pair of Clarks Hope Shine Loafers, which I bought from Amazon for $60 two years ago. Unfortunately, this style of Clarks is no longer available, but Amazon does carry a somewhat similar style called the Channing Ann Slip-On Loafer for $46, and if you prefer brick-and-mortar stores, Macy's carries quite a few similar styles, including Emily Cove Slip-on Shooties (with a slightly higher heel), and the Emily Step, both currently on sale for $45. I highly recommend Clarks for anyone with foot problems, as they are very comfortable, reasonably stylish (at least as good-for-your-terrible-feet shoes go), and wear very well. Incidentally, if you do have foot issues and want some really excellent help in finding a style that fits you properly, go to Nordstrom's. The sales staff in their shoe department is very well-trained and helpful, and they carry Clarks as well as other brands of sturdy, supportive shoes. 



And since I'm not wearing much for jewelry or other accessories today, I'll just mention that my watch is an Anne Klein Genuine Diamond Bangle Watch from Amazon (I paid $44 three years ago but now it's only $30). I like this watch because the strap is a bangle on the outside but has links inside the wrist so the size can be easily adjusted (I have bony wrists that sometimes swell due to my arthritis, so comfortable watch bands, especially bangles, can be hard to find). It also has a large face and good contrast between the thick gold hands and the black face (which makes it easier to read at a glance), and I love the little diamond chip at the 12 o'clock position (it's a shameless ripoff of the famous Movado watch, which I love but am too cheap - and too hard on watches - to pay for). 

So that's me for the day: casual, comfortable, and cute! Or at least, that's what I'm aiming for. Let me know if you think I hit the mark or if I missed it today!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment