Friday, March 10, 2023

My Week in Fashion: Friday

Thank goodness it's Friday!! I'm working from home today (my sewing machine is better than the school's sewing machine), so I'm casual, but not quite as casual as some of my work from home days tend to be. Let's take a look at my TGIF outfit:


The pieces of this outfit are simply jeans, a loose top, and my leopard slip-ons. 

Yet another piece from my COVID-19 Amazon/shopping online wardrobe, I originally bought this Casual V Neck Mesh Panel 3/4 Bell Sleeve Shirt for $26 (now listed at $28) in sage green, but I got so many compliments on it that I decided to buy another one in a different shade. This one is actually described as "tea rose," a color I liked but wasn't sure if it would work with my red hair, but in reality it's more of a terra cotta, which is a terrific shade on me. 

There are a lot of details to this style which work very well for my particular figure issues. First off, I frequently get hives on my upper chest, so a top that covers up to my collarbone without looking too "buttoned up" or matronly is great. The bands at the neck and sleeve hems are mesh fabric, so it covers without really covering. The sleeves are loose enough that I can move without feeling restricted, but they're not so wide that they get in the way, and they end just below the elbow on me rather than being a full 3/4 length, which also keeps them out of my way. And the hem comes right to the fullest part of my hips, which means it skims my body perfectly without bunching or looking overly voluminous.  

I inherited this pair of jeans from a friend, but I may need to buy another pair in this cut and color, because I really like they way they look on me. Macy's carries similar curvy-fit bootcut jeans that - importantly for me - come in long (as well as regular and short) lengths, and are currently on sale for $30 (usually $40). Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear taught me about the importance of a nice dark-wash jean. It looks much dressier and more polished than a lighter wash, and I always find darker bottoms to be more flattering. In addition, the boot cut style - as long as the hem is the right length - adds just a hint of flattering curve, lengthening my legs and deemphasizing my big feet while also somehow calling attention to whatever cute shoes I pair with them. The low rise means I have to be careful not to wear too short of a shirt, but since I prefer hip-length tops most of the time, it's rarely a problem, and the lower waistband is more comfortable when I'm doing a lot of sitting, standing, crouching, and crawling (which I do a lot). 

And of course, a simple outfit with only neutral jeans and a solid-colored top needs a pop of visual interest, in this case, once again the leopard print slip-ons I wore yesterday. But they also look great with low boots, loafers, athletic sneakers, or even low heels. 

Happy Friday, everyone!


Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment