Saturday, February 10, 2024

Focusing on the Food: Week 5 Check-In

After five weeks of changing my eating habits and just over one-third of the way to my goal weight, I've discovered one of the most important - and most pleasurable - aspects of this eating plan: It reminds me to really enjoy my food. To focus on what I'm eating. To savor each bite. 

As much as I hate the word "mindfulness," this eating plan has made me realize that I need to eat mindfully. I had never noticed how often I do other things while I eat, so instead of enjoying the snack I thought I was craving, I just shove food into my gob while focusing on something else. I'd sit on the couch with a bag of tortilla chips and eat them while I caught up on e-mail, or worked a crossword puzzle, or watched a movie, and suddenly I'd look down to find that half the bag was gone but I didn't even remember eating it. The point of tortilla chips is not nutrition, it's pleasure, and I had completely cheated myself out of the pleasure of eating them because I wasn't paying attention. Now, if I want tortilla chips, I put a small handful on a plate, close the bag and put it back in the cupboard, then I eat them one at a time, focusing on the delicious saltiness, the crunch, the flavor. I savor each chip. I enjoy eating that small serving of chips much, much more than I used to enjoy eating half the bag. 

It's the same with eating meals. The point here is a combination of nutrition and pleasure, but taking the time to consider the amount I need to eat in order to get the proper amount of nutrition reminds me that the pleasure of eating is also limited. Knowing that I don't get a second serving even if it's really delicious encourages me to enjoy the serving in front of me. So I eat more slowly in order to savor the tastes and textures, with the result that my stomach has more time to register that I'm full, so I feel more satisfied with a smaller portion. Win-win!

Are there times when I just want to shovel a giant pile something delicious into my face? Yes! Are there tough days when I want to knock back that cocktail like a western hero in a saloon with a shot of whisky? Also yes. But the pleasure is over too quickly when I do that. I'm learning that prolonging that enjoyment without adding unnecessary calories is actually more pleasurable. 

And speaking of more pleasurable, I've also reached the point where my clothes are fitting noticeably differently - and I've been able to wear some clothes that were uncomfortably snug (or unwearable) before I started this journey. I even shrunk out of a belt and into one I haven't worn in ages. I'm changing my habits primarily for health reasons (I have several medical conditions that are significantly impacted by carrying even a few extra pounds), but the side effect of looking better is a positive motivator. 


The bottom line is that there are a number of factors that are making my new habits easier to stick with. Visible results is one; more enjoyment in eating is another. Isn't it funny how eating less but eating differently can be more satisfying rather than less? Focus on your food!

Quote for the Week: The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor. 

- Chinese Proverb

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment