Saturday, February 24, 2024

You Can't Just Give (It) Up: Week 7 Check-In

Last week's plateau was frustrating, but the upside was that it inspired me to not only hang in there, but to look more closely at what I was doing and to consider if I needed to change anything. Looking back over my "treats" for the week, I realized I had gotten a little lazy about trading off when I opted for a treat. It also made me think about whether I really needed those treats as often as I was taking them. So I was more stringent this week about making sure that I gave up a rough equivalent of every treat I chose, as well as simply having fewer (and smaller) treats. And boy, did it make a difference. Once I waited out that plateau, I more than made up for the week of minimal loss. 




In addition to being more careful of my tradeoffs, I was more careful about my portion sizes, which I realized had been gradually and sneakily increasing. Since I don't weigh or measure my portions, those changes aren't really reflected on my tracking chart, so it's something I have to consider carefully at every meal. It's harder for me to control when I don't have a black-and-white record in front of me to look back at, so it's very easy to slip back into old habits. 

Interestingly, after the first week or two, I haven't felt especially hungry during the day, or overly tempted to snack between meals (well, most of the time, anyway). But when I sit down for the one "real" meal I have every day, dinner with my family, it's still sooooo very tempting to pile the food on my plate. Or to go back for seconds. Or to grab that roll with butter. 

It reminds me of the saying, "Eating is the one vice you can't give up cold turkey." We all have to eat. Food, in some form and in some amount, is necessary for life. You can't just stop eating altogether, the way you can give up cigarettes, or alcohol, or gambling. You can't simply remove the temptation from your existence. And controlling something is often far more difficult than eliminating it. Think about a bag of chips: it's so much easier to not have any chips than it is to eat one and then stop. 

Once again, for me it comes down to "mindfulness": Since I'm usually the one putting food on my own plate, I have to think, as I'm serving myself, about how much food I really need. What is a reasonable portion size? How much do I need to satisfy my body, not necessarily my taste buds or my emotional desires? I have to think about how much I want the immediate satisfaction of a few extra bites vs. the long-term satisfaction of lower weight and better health. Fortunately, the more weeks go by and the more pounds I shed, the more I am realizing that long-term satisfaction in the short term. My clothes fit better right now. I like what I see in the mirror right now. My blood pressure readings are lower right now. My back pain is less right now. As I'm putting food on my plate, I can think about those right now results and remind myself of the benefits I'm already seeing. Which makes it easier, but still not exactly easy. 

The bottom line for me this week is, I think, remembering that I'm not giving up anything altogether, I'm simply limiting some things. Which reminds me to enjoy them when I'm having them, as well as encouraging me to avoid (or minimize) them when I need to. 


Quote for the Week:

 Moderation. Small helpings.
Sample a little bit of everything.
These are the secrets of happiness and good health.

-Julia Child

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment