Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Photo a Day: Floral

Today's Photo a Day topic is "floral." At some times of year, that topic would be a piece of cake, with the hardest decision being which of the thousands of floral subjects both inside and outside the house would make the best photo. But in February in New England, there isn't much for florals. Except that the other day my husband brought home a beautiful white orchid.


As much as I love my outdoor garden, I am not much for houseplants. I somehow forget to take care of them, even when they're under my nose. I currently have a dish garden on my kitchen island that is surviving mainly because my husband waters it, and a small African violet that my brother-in-law coaxed from a single leaf that I am determined to keep alive at least until it blossoms once. But generally, blooming things vanish from my world during the snowy months. 

But my husband loves flowers, and frequently brings home cut flowers; roses or sunflowers or carnations or calla lilies. And now and then, he'll bring home something growing in a pot, knowing that if it is to survive, its fate must be in his hands, not mine.

I always avoided orchids, because they look (and often are) so terribly fragile. A too-thin stem that needs to be clipped to a sturdy prop. Delicate petals with tiny, intricate projections. Even their coloring is delicate, in this case pure white fading into ivory and nearly-yellow. And yet, even in my house they survive. They wilt a bit when neglected but come back to life when attended to. They may appear to be on their last legs, but a drink of water or a bit of plant food and they perk up and return to health.

I think I am a bit of an orchid at times: I wilt easily, but often it only takes a bit of attention to bring me back to myself. I can weather neglect for a while, but then start to pine. But in reality, I am much tougher and more resilient than I look!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment