Sunday, January 24, 2016

Photo A Day: Night

As a stay-at-home parent, there is no doubt that I look forward to night every…well, night. Don’t get me wrong: I love my kids, and I love spending the day with them. But when nighttime comes, I am DONE. I am toast. I need a break. I am so happy to tuck them into bed and take off the “Mom” hat for a few hours before I have to tuck myself into bed as well. So night is an exciting transition time for me.


Not surprisingly, then, I get excited at the sight of a beautiful moon, because it usually means that either the kids’ bedtime is here or that it will be very shortly. The dark night sky, full of the glow of the moon and stars, is a sign that I can relax and recharge. And every night, I look out the back sliding door, or the skylight in the upstairs bathroom, or I even peek my head out onto the porch or the front steps to look at the night sky. And tonight, I was rewarded with a particularly exquisite view. 


The clear sky, the bright full moon, the graceful tree branches stretching up to the sky. I get such a sense of peace when I look at this sky. It reminds me of a lovely choral piece by Tom Fettke entitled "The Majesty and Glory" that I sang in a choir many years ago:


When I gaze into the night sky, and see the works of your fingers, the moon and stars suspended in space…oh, what is man that You are mindful of him? You have given man a crown of glory and honor, and have made him a little lower than the angels. You have put him in charge of all creation: the beasts of the fields, the birds of the air, the fish of the sea. Oh, what is man, oh, what is man that You are mindful of him?

Oh, Lord our God, the majesty and glory of Your name transcends the earth and fills the heavens! Oh, Lord our God, little children praise You perfectly, and so would we, and so would we. Alleluia, alleluia, the majesty and glory of Your name. Alleluia, alleluia, the majesty and glory of Your name. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!!”

Night.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment