Thursday, April 30, 2020

COIVD-19 Homeschool, Day 32

Another day when I am too focused on packing and cleaning to do much supervising of homeschool. I am basically giving the kids the following assignments to do on their own:

My daughter:

  • 20 minutes of reading
  • 30 minutes on Zearn or other online math of her choice
  • 15 minutes of cello practice
  • Google Classroom meeting at 1pm
  • 10 minutes (minimum) writing in her journal
  • Optional: Write or copy a poem neatly to be shared during the Google Classroom meeting and/or posted in our window in honor of April being Poetry Month
  • Her own addition: 30 minutes of typing practice on Typing Club
My son:
  • 30 minutes of reading
  • 30 minutes of Zearn or other online math of his choice
  • 15 minutes of trombone practice
  • 1 coding project
  • 10 minutes (minimum) writing in his journal
  • Optional: Write or copy a poem neatly to be posted in our window in honor of April being Poetry Month
I also told them that at some point before lunch, I would read them some more from The Diary of Anne Frank for 15-20 minutes. (Well, re-read, considering that they fell asleep last time, so we needed to back up a little.) I told them they could set any schedule that they want, and could take breaks any time they want, provided that they have everything finished by 2pm. 

I checked in with both of them during their lunch break to see if we needed to buckle down to get everything finished, but they were both in very good shape. My daughter had finished everything other than her Google Classroom Meeting and the optional poetry assignment (which she chose not to do), and my son had already set a timer for trombone practice starting at exactly 1:45pm, and was working on his coding project while he ate his lunch. He also opted out of the poetry assignment. It was a good exercise in time management and self-discipline to figure out on their own how to fit everything in, and they both did surprisingly well with it. 

So that's it for the day, although I'll probably also recruit them both to help me with dinner. So really, not that much of a throw-away day after all. And you should see how neat and organized (and empty) our house is getting! I'd say we all got a lot accomplished today. 



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment