Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19 Homeschool, Day 19

Most surprising comment thus far, from my son: "Mom, can we have more of a schedule today?" Clearly, my son prefers some structure in his day. So our first order of business is to look at his Google Classroom and use that to create a schedule for the day. My daughter is perfectly happy with no structure (and no teaching) whatsoever, but my son wanted to help design a schedule for her, as well.

7-8:30am: Get up, make and eat breakfast, clear dishes, brush and wash, get dressed.

8:30-9am: Start planning schedules. My son found a couple of third grade math tests, including this one, and we printed them out, then we found some fourth grade tests and printed those as well.

9-9:15am: Math tests. Each kid took the test, then we went over them together and talked through any wrong answers. My son took it on himself to explain one question on my daughter's test that her class hadn't covered yet.

9:15-9:30am: Geography Quiz. I found this quiz online and gave it to both kids. We then moved on to a quiz abut South America, since my daughter had studied that in school. We didn't do very well, but we learned a lot!

9:30-11am: My son read further in Tiger Rising, and my daughter read some of her favorite books, including several of Mo Willems' Gerald and Piggy series.

11am-12pm: My son's class did a Google Meet with his teacher, mostly working on math, while my daughter had some extra free time.

12-1pm: My son had his lunch while he was chatting with his classmates after his teacher signed off, and my daughter had some lunch while she played online games.

1-1:45pm: My daughter had a Google Meet with her class, working on math problems. I started baking bread, and my son joined me (coincidentally, he had "baking class" on his schedule for 1pm!). He's developing a very nice kneading technique. Paul Hollywood had better watch his back! If you're interested in teaching your kids to bake bread, this 1-hour French bread recipe is fast, easy, delicious, and relatively foolproof.

And now we're dismissed for the long weekend! Happy Easter to all who celebrate it!







Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment