Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Quarantunes: Broadway Edition

I've seen a lot of posts listing pop songs that are especially appropriate for this time of quarantine: Billy Idol's "Dancing with Myself," the Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me," Eric Carmen's "All By Myself," etc. It struck me that there must be a lot of Broadway songs that would also fit this description, whether it's because of their titles, their message, or their lyrics. Some of them are funny; some of them are quite sad and poignant. Both styles seem to be to be fitting for this particular moment in time. So I offer you my list of Top Twenty Broadway "Quarantunes" (in no particular order):

"I'm All Alone" from Spamalot

"Without You" from Rent

"We Do Not Belong Together" from Sunday in the Park with George

"Lonely Room" from Oklahoma

"In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

"Waiting for Life to Begin" from Once On This Island

"Alone with Me" from Hands on a Hardbody

"Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen

"I'm Still Here" from Follies

"Turn Back, O Man" from Godspell

"Build a Wall" from Shrek

"The Last Night of the World" from Miss Saigon

"Not Getting Married Today" from Company

"I Wish I Could Go Back to College" from Avenue Q

"I Know It's Today" from Shrek

"You Could Drive a Person Crazy" from Company

"Why Do the Wrong People Travel" from Come Sail Away

"Out There" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame

"There's Gotta Be Something Better than This" from Sweet Charity


What other Broadway tunes do you think belong on this list?

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment