Wednesday, April 22, 2020

COVID-19 Homeschool, Day 26

Happy Hump Day! In the words of Winnie the Pooh, it's a rather blustery day!
We missed our window to walk yesterday. The kids opted out of it at 9:30, and by our next opportunity it was pouring. My husband actually went out for his daily walk at around 5pm and came home absolutely soaked, so I was glad we didn't go. But I think we could all use a stretch of our legs today so I'll try to fit in some kind of fresh air break today, even if it's just jumping jacks in the driveway!

7-8:30am: Get up, have breakfast, get dressed and brushed and washed. Despite the fact that my son was still tossing and turning at 10:30 last night, both kids were up between 6:30 and 7, and seem relatively bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. We'll see how they're still holding up by this afternoon!

8:30-9am: My daughter has a Flipgrid Math exercise to do today, then she spent 20 minutes on Zearn. My son played "Fraction Fling" on ABCya, "Which One Doesn't Belong," and did some estimating practice, some of his required math exercises for the week. 

9-10am: We took an exercise break. The kids played "Workout War": you basically play the card game "War" but then whatever number card comes up, you do that many of a certain exercise, like jumping jacks or squats. I had only intended them to do this for half an hour, but they were having so much fun that I let them do it for nearly a whole hour! Then they took a short break before our next session. 

10-10:45am: My son watched the daily Atlantic White Shark Conservancy Facebook Live feed, while my daughter watched a special interactive episode of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

10:45-11:05: In honor of Earth Day, we all took turns reading Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax."  Then we learned some facts about Earth Day

11:05-11:30am: The kids continued our Earth Day celebrations by reading more online about Earth Day and ways we can protect the earth and its resources. 

11:30am-1pm: Lunch break and free time. 

1-1:45pm: My son had a Google Meet with his class; my daughter and I read some more of "On the Banks of Plum Creek." 

1:45-2pm: I challenged the kids to a photo contest, inspired by a project a Facebook friend did for her photography class. I had them each put together a "lay flat" arrangement of items that make them think of what they've been doing during the pandemic. Here are their results:

Katie: sneakers, her journal, a pillow, LOL dolls, some jellybeans, her Chromebook, and...the hamster.

Ryan: his trombone, a book, a pillow, his sneakers, his Chromebook, Pringles, the cardboard helmet he made, and...me.

And with that bit of silliness, school's out for the day!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment