Tuesday, April 28, 2020

COVID-19 Homeschool, Day 30

Day 30 - really?!?? Really. Everyone is in a bit of a mental stupor today, partly because of the week 6/7 crash that so many of us are experiencing, and partly because of everything that's going on with buying our new house and thinking about moving. So my expectations for today - and this week, and maybe the next couple of weeks - are pretty low.

So here's our laid-back accomplishments for the day:

7-8:30am: Get up, have breakfast, get brushed and washed and dressed. This was all performed reluctantly, with slow motion, and in some instances to a limited degree (once again there are fewer pants present than there are people).

8:30-9am: My daughter asked if I would read from the Diary of Anne Frank to start the day, and my son requested that we snuggle in blankets in my bedroom while we did it. So we all got cozy and I began to read. After half an hour, I stopped and asked them a question. Silence. They had both fallen asleep while I read.

9-9:30am: Nap time!

9:30-10am: My son woke up and volunteered to write in his journal; 15 minutes later my daughter woke up and I had her write in her journal as well. I asked if either of them wanted to share anything they'd written. My son declined; my daughter read her description of one of her friends.

10-10:30am: Circle Time for my daughter and Atlantic White Shark Conservancy for my son!

10:30-11am: I asked both kids to look at their Google Classroom assignment lists and choose something from their list to work on. They both chose Typing Club.

11-11:30am: My daughter chose to continue writing in her journal, and read us some of it when she was done. My son grabbed a quick snack then worked on math on Zearn.

11:30am-1pm: Lunch break and free time!

1-2pm: My daughter has a Google Classroom meeting with her class, followed by chat with her classmates. My son set up for his 1:15pm band practice. We hit a slight snag when both kids' Chromebooks were low on battery and they could only find one charger, but we managed to hand it off and then back and everyone got through without running out of juice for more than a minute or so.

2:15-3pm: My daughter participated in an online dance party hosted by her former dance studio (which, conveniently, is owned by my sister-in-law), and was thrilled to see (and dance with) her former classmates and one of her cousins.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment