Thursday, November 17, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 25

Today is my birthday, and although I woke up intending on being thankful for certain people today, I’m putting them off for a day because I am so thankful for all my Facebook friends who have been showering me with cheerful birthday wishes literally since the clock struck midnight.

My day began somewhat less than auspiciously when I left my toddler in the playroom for a few minutes so I could feed my infant daughter, and when I came back, I discovered a poopy diaper on the floor, a naked, slightly poopy toddler racing happily around the room, and a poop-covered wall that either diaper or bum (or possibly both) had been wiped on. It made it much easier to laugh rather than cry over the situation when I saw the litany of good wishes on my Wall, and also the sympathy after I posted the story.

Facebook, for me, has been a wonderful way to connect (or re-connect) with distant relatives, classmates, former work colleagues, and theater friends. I’ve found a whole new community of fellow older parents and parents of grown children ready to give advice and commiseration, of theater buffs giving recommendations and reviews, and of people of all persuasions just being funny and interesting. As a stay-at-home mom, it is my major social outlet and method of keeping in touch with the outside world. I can chat with a friend even if I haven’t managed to get out of my bathrobe or brush my teeth yet. I can find a fellow insomniac when I’m up in the wee hours of the night. I can sneak peeks at other people’s families and vacation adventures and whatever else they choose to share in pictures and stories. I can be part of a community that extends across the country and around the world.

And I am thankful for every one of them, and for their willingness to share their lives with me through this medium, and for their interest in sharing mine.


Three things I am thankful for today are Lysol wipes, funny birthday cards, and the helpful employees at Costco.

Bookmark and Share  

No comments:

Post a Comment